Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Dream Team


One of the best things about being born in the 80’s was that I was able to enjoy the 90’s as a tween and then a teen. One of my fondest memories as a tween was being able to watch on TV the Dream Team play during the Barcelona Olympics. The individual games were nothing to boast about since the USA would cream the competition. What made watching these games worthwhile was that it was the first Olympics to feature active NBA players. Yet what took this Dream Team to a whole other level was that it had the greatest player on its roaster, Michael Jordan.

About three years ago a friend of mine told me that he went to Barcelona in 1992 to watch the Dream Team play. I then started to freak out and asked him if he took any pictures, to which he answered yes. He told me he would share the pictures with me, but only until recently was he able to show them to me. Now that I have them, I thought the best place to show case them was on my blog.


The first picture is what the actual ticket to the finals looked like, the second is of the stadium while empty and the third is of the Dream Team warming up. Unfortunately my memory of those Olympics is pretty fuzzy and I am unable to accurately recall the games that were played during that summer. From what I can tell the next pictures are of the Dream Team playing against Croatia and then of the award ceremony. Some people will recall the controversy that occurred during that ceremony when Jordan used the American Flag to cover up the Reebok logo on his jacket. The final pictures are of some other teams that played that day.

Wikipedia link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_United_States_men%27s_Olympic_basketball_team

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...